Friday 7 September 2018

The end of an era

No, I'm not quitting blogging. Although I admit, I have been very lax at getting blogs written recently. I will endeavour to do better!

The title of this blog refers to the Word Cloud. Many of you know that I have been a member of this online writing community for a number of years. It was a fabulous place, where writers could find other writers to talk through the technical stuff, get feedback on their writing, make wonderful writing friends, and ultimately celebrate and commiserate with each other on their writing journeys.

You'll notice, perhaps, that I wrote 'was a fabulous place'.

Because the Cloud is no more.

SocialGo have removed support for whichever version of their software the cloud used, and two or three days ago, the cloud disappeared. There were rumours about SocialGo pulling the plug, but no firm dates. I managed to save some of the lovely comments I'd received about some short stories I'd written, but other than that... I couldn't face trawling through years' worth of written material. So I left everything. And hoped.

But to no avail. There is now only a blank screen - and no cloud.

It's disappearance takes with it probably hundreds of blogs. Some which made me laugh, some which made me cry. Some recounted the long, hard road to publication. Some existed to provoke heated discussion about all manner of topics. Some told deeply personal experiences. And others were written purely for fun.

Also lost in the digital ether are the seeds of several published and best selling novels. There are even competition winning short stories, or opening chapters, or flash fiction.

There were conversations between friends. Photographs of memorable moments. Links to useful writing related sites.


All of it has gone - in the blink of an eye.

There is a glimmer of hope... But at the moment, I'm feeling too sad about the cloud. I'll tell you about the new place tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. With you in sadness at this Squidge - I've just deleted it from my bookmarks :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katherine,
    I am sorry about the demise of world cloud. It ail be missed. I tried to join the alternative site but my computer all not allow me.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I hope you manage to see this reply! Jillybean says that there have been a few issues. She says - "go to the register button top LH side if screen on a PC or laptop, on the black border outside the immediate forum screen. That should work." Hope you manage to join us soon!

      Delete
  3. The Word Cloud was a marvellous place and it did a lot of good for writers of all abilities. I don't suppose we will ever understand why it worked so well - but it did. A happy accident, perhaps. I suspect that because folk will try to recreate it, it won't actually be recreated. But, like those old iron age earthworks or Neolithic stone circles, it has left an indelible mark - and maybe that's enough. After all, nothing is forever.

    ReplyDelete