Thursday 18 August 2016

A blast from the past

Years ago, I spent some time designing images for rubber stamps, working with a company called Dimension Fourth Ltd. The company no longer exists, but for some time I enjoyed drawing different images which Roy and Aly Higginbottom turned into acrylic stamps and amazing cards. (I believe Roy and Aly are both still involved in the crafting world, but are no longer together.)

Anyway, as a result, I have three box files full of stamps made from my designs. I've dabbled and made cards using them, but not for ages. And I probably wouldn't have given them a thought, except that during a bit of a clear out yesterday, I found a box of ATCs I'd made using my own designs which sent me on a bit of a stroll down memory lane...

To the uninitiated, ATC's are Artist Trading Cards; card-makers sometimes produce miniature works of art (2.5 x 3.5 inches) based on stamping and swap them with other crafters. Each tiny card could take an hour or more to create. I used to LOVE making them...but could rarely bear to part with them - as proven by the boxful I found under the bed.

I love Christmas, so quite a few have a wintry theme:


Then there were borders and cartoon people and cute animals and fashion ideas...



And these next are my absolute favourite ATCs, especially the white cat and bouquet of flowers. Somehow, the backing paper colours and hand-drawn flowers just work. But then I also loved the patchwork quilt, with the stitching on paper and tiny button...



Having found these, I rooted out the boxes of stamps themselves. They're all acrylic, and the best way to store them is on laminated sheets. I used to stamp the images onto plain paper, have a colouring in session with the Squidgelings and then laminate the sheets so I had a handy reference as to what I'd got where.

Here are just a few of stamp sheets...

My first designs were mainly borders and cartoon people.


And as the cartoon people went down well, the range was extended to include historical and seasonal figures as well as a complete Nativity set!


I love Christmas, so I played with Christmas fairies...


...and words and trees and a LOT of patchwork designs...


...before moving onto penguins and Eskimos. The long-legged Santa and snowman were THE first designs I got paid for, and they were based on a pair of mantelpiece ornaments I'd bought when the Squidgelings were tiny.


More patchwork - I think I patchworked an awful lot, even before I got into the fabric version! There's a complete set of upper and lower case letters, a tortoise and a rabbit! And then we get the cute critters. I started with mice, cos I've always had a thing for mice.


 Then I moved onto cats - for all seasons - and dogs and moles...


I love the poodle on the scooter and the cat peeping out of the daisies.

You know, I hadn't realised just how many I'd drawn over the years until I went through the boxes... Perhaps it's time to get stamping again? Assuming I can find the time between writing projects, church and home, of course. Maybe I'll hand make my Christmas cards this year?

I'll let you know if I find 25 hours in the day between now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment