Thursday 8 May 2014

Storytelling at its best.

We all do it, y'know - tell stories.

Oh, you might think you don't, because you're not a writer. But you tell stories every day.

It might be about something which seems quite ordinary, like your trip to the supermarket or a visit to a friend.

Or you might be telling someone about the time one leg disappeared down a broken man-hole cover and you were so slight that if you'd been walking a foot more to the right, you'd have gone right down it and been sucked into the nearby canal. Or the time you and your friends turned up to a 70's night and were mistaken for the tribute band because you were the only ones in  fancy dress. Or the time you tried to give a baby hedgehog the kiss of life 'cos it had unfortunately drowned in your pond. (All  true, folks!)

Sometimes we might be desperate for the story to be finished, it's so convoluted and - frankly - boring. My kids roll their eyes at Mr Squidge whenever he says 'when I were a lad...'

Other times, we get drawn in so deep, we're gasping and our eyes are wide with surprise, we're hanging so tightly onto every word.

Those kind of stories are the best. To quote the late, great, Frank Carson: 'It's the way I tell 'em!'

Personally, I enjoy telling stories. I would always read to my kids, even when they were perfectly able to read for themselves. In fact, one particular holiday we took a Harry Potter book with us, reading it in the car as we drove round Sardinia. I seem to remember having to sit in the car in almost 40 degrees, as we weren't allowed to go to the beach before we finished the chapter. I'd always offer to do storytime when I was helping out in classes at school - not just 'cos it gave the teacher a break, but because I loved doing the voices. I'm sure there's a closet actor in me who's desperate to get out...

Well, hopefully I'm going to be doing a fair bit more storytelling in the near future.

I approached my local library and just this morning have had some very encouraging discussions about becoming an official library volunteer for storytelling sessions with 6-9 year olds! How cool is that? I need to talk to Mr Squidge first as we've not finalised our summer holiday plans, but the idea is that we'll give the storytelling sessions a go from early July, which coincides with the launch of this year's Reading Challenge (a mythical theme this summer). Then we'll see whether there's any interest in continuing sessions in the autumn term, perhaps on a fortnightly or monthly basis.

(Incidentally - as our library services experience further deep cuts to resources, do please consider helping out as a volunteer. Contact your local library to see what you can do for them. Who knows - it might be the difference between having a local library or losing it.)

Anyway, I'm really excited by the whole thing. Yes, I write. Yes, I've been published and yes, it would be great to sell a few more copies of Granny Rainbow.

But first and foremost - as my strapline says - I'm the short author who tells tall tales. Not 'the little lady who sells books'.

I am first and foremost a storyteller. And delighted to be able to share it with children.


15 comments:

  1. :-) I would love to be one of those 6-9 year olds! Oral storytelling is very close to my heart, and a completely different discipline to writing – or drama, for that matter. It is itself. Unlike an actor, a storyteller doesn't have lines or set words. And unlike an author, a storyteller is constantly interacting with real live listeners. If 6-y-o needs Snow White to arrive by submarine (real example), the storyteller can make that happen! Enjoy the experience, Squidge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd understand, John! Not sure I'm quite ready for the make-it-up-as-you-go-along version yet! I think we'll be starting with reading from books, but if I take my story-bag with me, we can give it a go! I LOVE the idea of Snow White arriving by submarine!

      Delete
  2. Our library has a regular storytelling time for pre-school children too - connected to the BookStart programme designed to get them interested in reading. Sounds like a great opportunity. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pre-schoolers session runs quite well already - but the outreach lady wants to work with older children as it's something that's been asked for by parents apparently...

      Delete
  3. Katherine, storytelling encompasses a continuum from reading aloud to performance. Every approach is valid! I'm somewhere in the middle: I love reading aloud, but tell and improvise in the right situations. For more out-and-out performance, watch my friend Terrie Howey a.k.a Red Phoenix. http://www.redphoenixstory.co.uk/clips.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh- I'll check out Terrie. Red Phoenix - what a fab name for a storyteller! Thanks, John.

      Delete
  4. Well done Katherine. I am sure you will enjoy it and perhaps it will fill you with ideas for more stories. I love being read to. Your library is very lucky. Does your library have a copy of Granny Rainbow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bren. They don't have a copy of Granny Rainbow yet - but they have asked for one. Fingers crossed...

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a great opportunity - great fun to see all those faces when they get drawn into a story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone whose story-telling is at the very least rusty and who could never do it out loud except, maybe, one to one, I am much admiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra - I'm sure you'd be fine with a bit of practise! ;)

      Delete
  7. Reading Harry Potter under 40 degrees... this made me chuckle. I can relate to it. It's unthinkable to finish off mid-chapter when I'm reading to children too :-) I love reading to them to (although I find Harry Potter rolls out easier than say Percy Jackson).

    A read for a couple of years at my local library a few years ago, and it was a interesting experience. To be honest I was a little scared at first, but I soon settled in and really enjoyed it once I saw the children were so engaged. The library was in France and I read in English alongside a reading in French of the same book. I think we were aiming for 'english by passive absorption'. :-)

    Good luck!

    Ruth A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how some books are easier to read aloud than others, Ruth. Did you find yourself changing bits and not reading exactly what was written? I do! I will admit to the occasional mid-chapter finish - but it's usually in a 'safe' place, not the middle of the action!

      Am now hoping I won't be asked to read anything in French...

      Delete
  8. Yes, sometimes I find I have slipped in a different word or two (but I usually do a second correct attempt, in case one of the kids happens to be following the words over my shoulder :-)). Occasionally, it just slows me up so much I have to re-read the whole sentence :-(

    ReplyDelete