Wednesday 1 April 2015

Deleting Problems...

So, for the first time, I've decided to delete a blog post. If you've been following the Scribbles for a while, you might remember it - all about the baubles I was knitting before Christmas.

For some reason, this post has attracted a heck of a lot of spam interest. About shoes.

I have no idea why.

Was it the title that triggered something? ('A Strange Addiction' - later changed to 'A Strange Compulsion')

Was there something embedded in it that created spambots to select it? If so, I have no idea what or how, because I'm not teccy enough to work that out.

Was I just unlucky?

Either way, it's that post that led me to (unwillingly) add a filter to the comments, to avoid the plague of spam comments that was clogging up my inbox.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to have made a difference to how many times the spambots are trying to hit the post. As a result, I've seen my hit-rate climb, but it leaves me with a sense of frustration because the hits aren't genuine. I would rather have tens of hits a day of genuine readers than apparently high numbers generated by a machine. The Scribbles is not about number-crunching - never has been. It's about engaging with you, the reader.

Hence the blog post has been deleted. I've kept a copy of it, but you won't be able to see it any more.

Whether it's enough to stop the robots, I've no idea. They might just pick on another post instead...but I'll deal with that when - if? - it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment