Monday 25 August 2014

When a story just won't work

Been working on a story for the next book of Granny Rainbow stories - had the title all sorted: Granny Rainbow and the Pear Tree Pirate.

I had the broad outline, in terms of where the story was going to be set, the problem Granny faced and how she would solve it. Fabuloso!

What I can't work out is how to realistically get my secondary character into a position where he does what he's supposed to, thanks to Granny's intervention. Try as I might, it just doesn't sound...believable. Now, those of you who've read GR will probably say that the premise of some of the first stories were somewhat wacky and wouldn't happen in real life anyway. But they were written in such a way that the solution didn't come out of the blue and have you and your little ones saying 'well, that's just not going to happen!'

So at the moment I'm stumped. I have six stories, but need a longer seventh to match the format of the first book. I have no idea what to write! I wondered whether to have another Black Shadow story...what dastardly way could he use to capture colour next? But you'd see colour disappearing again and know who was responsible straightaway. There'd be no surprise element.

It all feels a bit up in the air...and a bit disappointing because I love the title of the Pear Tree Pirate but it doesn't seem to want to work with the story I thought I was going to write. Never mind. I'll keep thinking...something will crop up.

At the same time, I can't help thinking thank goodness for the competition I held to find ideas for the blue and yellow stories, or I'd be even more stuck. Incidentally, I shall be announcing the winner, as promised, on the 1st September, so do pop back then to see whose idea will be written up. It's going to be a corker!

Maybe Professor Funkelburger's next invention will have to be a Story Ideas Machine...'for all ze very gut stories to be written, ja?'

1 comment:

  1. Hi Squidge, just got to this one. Maybe if you're still stuck for something, I'm thinking you could have the 'Black Shadow' stealing-- .... I'll PM you. Oh, and good luck at York and with Klicbac launch.

    ReplyDelete