Tuesday 8 September 2015

York 15 : the first instalment.

The Festival of Writing. Every year I wonder whether I should go and this year I wondered even more, because I didn't have anything I felt was 'ready' to take. Even on the way up to York, chatting away to my travel-buddy Imran (who you might remember designed the covers of Granny Rainbow and is in his own right, a fabulously enthusiastic author of several books), I didn't feel particularly excited.

As soon as I stepped through the doors of the Roger Kirk Centre and saw the first of many familiar faces, I started grinning: there was the wonderful Writer's Workshop team booking everyone in, 'leprecaun noir' author Paddy and Nick Sheridan, cloudie friends like Skylark, Raine, John and J.Net, the amazing Debi Alper, agents and authors... The tingle was most definitely back, and as the weekend went on, I was glad I'd decided to make this my fourth year.

Some of you reading this from here on in will wonder what the heck I'm on about, but those Who Were There will understand these snippets from the weekend - some more than others!

"A proper author has an agent." Sam Copeland (just imagine how that went down in an audience which included several successful self-published authors...)

"That shower curtain REALLY loves me!" J.S. Law

"Every writer is full of faith and full of doubt - and self-criticism" and "You become a new writer with every book you start." Nikki French duo, Sean French and Nicky Gerard

"Why, oh why, does the publishing industry treat me like a leopard?" Unknown disgruntled writer

"Readers are bloodhounds for truth and authenticity." Shelley Harris

"Today is Severus Snape Sunday. Because." Julie Cohen

"Success relies on talent, tenacity and timing." Diane Beaumont

"My kidneys are crying!" Competition winner, the morning after the champagne...

"I was woken by The Phantom Noseblower at 6am." Me. (I'd forgotten how thin the walls are in uni halls!)

"They've asked to see the full MS!" Heard from far too many folk to name you all individually. You know who you are, and I'm cheering you on.

I will blog more over the next few days - about the specific workshops, my 1-2-1 feedback, the gala dinner and keynote speakers - because every time I go to York, I learn something. I learn something about myself, about the craft, about the people I spend time with.

This year, I learnt that I still have some fundamental flaws in my approach to storytelling, that I have a recognisable writing style (hereafter to be referred to as Squidge-speak) and that it's more the structure than the voice which means I fail to capture that elusive 'wow' factor.

But that's what York does; it enables, encourages, challenges you to be the best writer you can be. Not necessarily 'best' as in the most successful or well-known - but the best YOU can be.

I'm still trying to be the best I can. I AM moving forwards but I haven't reached the finish line yet, where I can say (like one of the competition winners who'd had multiple MS requests) "I think I get it now...I know how all of this works." One day...

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Squidge. I didn't make it this year as it clashed with my holiday, but I look forward to experiencing it vicariously through your blogs! This is curlykats, by the way, can't remember my i.d.s so am posting anonymously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Curlykats! Keep your eyes peeled for future posts - especially the gala dinner one!

      Delete
  2. Nice one Squidge. wasn't it fun? And hard work. And despite all the rude comments and giggling that were coming from me and Jane behind you in the lecture theatre, I have just put my Emma Darwin Free writing exercise on Sex into my WIP and I rather think it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear it's already working for you, Moira!

      Delete
  3. I didn't make it into the keynote addresses so thanks for sharing those soundbites. As for you, I hope your progress is as clear to you as it is to me. You started out good and you keep getting better. Who could ask for anything more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Debi! I can see the improvements...just need a few more on top! I'll try to do a post about the keynote speakers at some point, as I found them really interesting - not least the fact they were both double acts!

      Delete
  4. As one who cannot travel to York for a number of reasons, I find your blogs are very welcome. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find them helpful, ST - there's more to come...

      Delete
  5. Another great blog, although if this is the first you'll have to excuse me because I'm reading them in the wrong order. I would also like to second your congrats to the many cloudies that were asked for a full m/s. You are such a talented bunch.

    ReplyDelete